Vomiting: When to Induce Vomiting in Your Pet
Should I induce vomiting at home?
If you come home to discover a box of imported chocolates has gone
missing, your unopened bottle of Tums® lies devoid of contents, or your
beautiful floral arrangement awry, and your faithful companion is either
jumping off the ceiling or moaning on his pillow, you might want to consider
inducing vomiting at home.
When should I NOT induce vomiting?
DO NOT induce vomiting if the toxin is caustic like drain opener, acidic
like battery acid, or a petroleum-based product. If you are unsure about
the kind of toxic material that was ingested, contact Animal Poison Control at (888) 426-4435 and let them tell you how best to handle the situation. Please note that a fee may be assessed for this phone call.
DO NOT induce vomiting if the animal is having difficulty breathing,
having seizures/convulsions, seems depressed, in shock or unconscious.
DO NOT induce vomiting if the animal's heart rate is very slow, if
the object eaten was pointed or sharp, or when the poison container says
How do I make my dog vomit?
There are two products commonly found in the home that can help induce
vomiting, 3 percent Hydrogen Peroxide or good old table salt. The general
rule for peroxide is 5mls (or 1 teaspoon) per 10 pounds, orally. Repeat every
15-20 minutes, up to three times, until the animal vomits. Care must be taken,
especially with cats, as aspiration into the lungs of the resulting foam
can cause pneumonia.
Two key points to remember: 1) Hydrogen Peroxide will flatten as it
ages thus losing its effectiveness for inducing vomiting. Always have an
unopened bottle handy that is within the expiration date. 2) For some dogs
peroxide works within seconds of administering so be sure to give outside
or in an area that is easy to clean.
While peroxide is the preferred "inducer", in a pinch a teaspoon of
table salt applied to the far recesses of the throat will also bring up the
It worked! Now what?
Vomiting is a quick fix, intended to get the offending substance out
of the animals system and to give you time to get to your veterinarian; a
trip to the vet is still warranted for precautionary measures. Depending
on what was ingested, activated charcoal may need to be given by a healthcare
provider to help bind any residual poison and to prevent further absorption.
Because there may be important clues needing to be discovered, be sure to save the vomitus to show your veterinarian.
See Chocolate is Not Good for Dogs
See Poisonous Plants Page
Return to Educational Information Page
Return to top